web design/hosting

Site Infomation

email
advertising

Click for Frederick, Maryland Forecast

UrbanaMaryland.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» UrbanaMaryland.com » News & Information » News & Views » Internet Connection options

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Internet Connection options
Ruth

Member # 658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be moving into VOU ,we purchased a TH near the clusters being built near Ethan Ridge/Atterbury Ln.

I just got to know from some folks living near the SFH that there is no internet connection ( cable) and wanted to know what are the alternate providers.

If comcast does not provide cable conenction for internet,are there any other providers.

Replies will be appreciated

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnY
Administrator

Member # 1

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what you mean by there not being internet via cable because it's presently the best/fastest option in the vou. You can also get DSL from verizon or Satellite via DirecWay but Comcast has the fastest down/up speeds available right now.

We don't have comcast for cable (we have directv) but do have them only for internet and have been very happy for the most part with the service.

--------------------
Webmaster/Owner
UrbanaMaryland.com

a Levelbest network site

Posts: 291 | From: Urbana, MD, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tottoos

Member # 553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tottoos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is a brand new constructed area, perhaps Comcast is not available yet. However, until then, I would think you can get Verizon high speed internet (DSL) service.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth

Member # 658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John/Tottoos,

Appreciate your replies.

John,what i meant to interpret was that I heard that for newly constructed homes,Comcast is currently not providing Internet connection.

So I was confirming whether this was true or not and if anyone who moved in recently had that experience.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnY
Administrator

Member # 1

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotcha... Comcast provides service elsewhere in the villages so I would give them a quick call with your new address [Wink]

--------------------
Webmaster/Owner
UrbanaMaryland.com

a Levelbest network site

Posts: 291 | From: Urbana, MD, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck

Member # 661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, Thanks Ruth for posting this topic. We're kind of in the same boat here. My wife and I recently purchased a new single family home closing in Mid-Sept in the new construction area of VOU, specifically in the Notting Hill / Ethan Ridge village. I've spoken to several families that have moved into their homes on Wyndham and Notting Hill and they have all told me the same thing. Comcast is NOT available in the new construction area of Ethan Ridge and Notting Hill. I've spoken to the local Comcast tech and online service representatives and these addresses are not in there system yet, even the ones that have been established in Feburary. What I've been told is that the earliest that Comcast would 'provision' service (infrastructure is already there) would be at the end of the year but most likely not until the surrounding community was finished sometime middle of next year. Since you'll be in a TH area this may come a bit sooner, /shrug.

The only alternative currently is Verizon DSL for Internet and Satellite for TV. However, this is not without problems as well. Supposedly, Verizon is in the process of adding additional DSL capacity to the circuits servicing the new VOU areas. There are a couple of families on Wyndham Dr that have it now, but there are several more in queue for it. I'm waiting on a call back from my representative at the Local Verizon office who's working on provisioning service, she's checking the loop and circuit for capacity and is supposed to get back to me. Hopefully with good news as my field of work relies heavily on internet access availability.

- Chuck

--------------------
--=(Cg)=--

Posts: 2 | From: Frederick | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Main Menu